Wednesday 28 May 2014

Writing, My Way



(Picture Credit - Writing by Macmyth)

Want to know me as a writer? You’ve come to the right place…

Let’s start with a surprise. When I was 7 an elderly teacher called Miss Hall sat me in front of my new Junior School class and asked me to read to her. The first word on the page was “Who” and I didn’t know it. I couldn’t recognise any other words, so was classed as a non-reader.

Yet only a year or two later my School Report for “Composition” (of the non-musical kind) described me as a “colourful”, “imaginative” (story) writer. So God only knows what had been going on at that school. Being a timid, withdrawn child I suppose I was rather difficult to assess.

I recall at about 6 being bought some black “World of Wonder” Encyclopaedias and being especially enraptured by articles about our Solar System. Remember arguing with some teacher around then about the various phases of the moon! As you do at 6!!! Must have been able to read then…

When I was in Year 10 (then the “4th year”) a Mr. Mawhinny described me as “gifted” at English. Yet Terry Dennison, my 6th form history teacher (and also an Olympic swimming coach) found my writing full of ambiguity amongst other faults.

So just how good was I? Or am I? If it matters…  

Well, I do believe I am blessed with a gift for English and specifically Writing. Whether I use this talent to its full potential is quite another question. Indeed the old parable about the “Talents” springs to mind: I think I buried mine!

I confess now: I never read enough. As with life in general, stamina has never been my strong point. I am a sprint-merchant who will cut any corner available to me.
Ironically when I do read I sometimes come across some truly inspiring pieces. I vividly recall being blown away by Shelley’s “Ode to the West Wind” at college. At Junior school I included “giant mushrooms” in one of my stories as I’d read Jules Verne’s book “Journey to the Centre of the Earth”.

On the other hand my history essays were poor, simply because I hadn’t read enough history books. You simply have to read in order to acquire the vocabulary and phraseology. I always read more science fiction and poetry, therefore I wrote better science fiction… Look, I have a great imagination (bordering on insanity) yet even I can’t conjure new words and phrases out of thin air to suit every occasion.

As Boxer would say, I must try harder. A better Work Ethic is required.

By the way, I am very poor at skim-reading. I almost always read with my “inner voice”. The down side of this is that “War and Peace” would not be my ideal read. However, the up side is that the way I read helps me appreciate the musicality of verse and poetry. I can also “hear” a good yarn or dramatic speech. To put it simply, I have a good ear for writing.

So what I have to offer is flair, imagination, vision and suchlike mostly. I’m not a great researcher so I much prefer writing poetry and fiction. Sadly the internet seems to revolve around facts and information. In my view the web lacks soul.

So I must soldier on. I know I will not always get the Views. People want information. I’m giving out poetry and stories. But I write what I write. I write endless journals because I don’t reckon my thoughts are “solid” until they are written or typed. Usually typed these days.

That word “soul”. Yes that’s what it’s all about: pumping soul into the internet. To be fair I do get Views and Comments for my poems on “VoicesNet” and “Hello Poetry”. Some of my blogs view well on “Triond” etc. and on my Google “Blogger” Blog. My “Beat the Bullies” Blog has had over 27,000 Views on Triond. My poems make readers think and even “dance”.

As I’ve said before, I am therefore I Write.

My advice to budding writers: don’t bother seeking out lots of advice or doing loads of soul-searching. Don’t keep your work locked away, endlessly editing until it is “perfect.” Just read what you can. Then get on with it, type it, and get it out there. You can always do revisions and edits later, when you are ready.


Paul Butters

PS - 7\6\14 Update - "Bullies" on Triond has had 29,376 Views now!

12\6 - 30,118 Views for "Bullies"!

No comments:

Post a Comment